Freitag, 29. Oktober 2010

PhD Pilot Study – Tinputz, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea

Day 9 – Thursday, 28 October 2010

We get up early again -- about 5:30 am. After packing up I interview Rufina Moi on video camera down by the ocean. It's a scenic spot, although the temperatures fast heat up, even in the wee morning hours.

We finally leave at 7 am. Once again we get sprayed soaking wet by every wave that bounces off the boat. The sun also beats down on us, although we don't feel it as much because we're all totally drenched. We see lots of flying fish.

After nearly 3 hours we reach Tinputz, Bougainville. Coming here is useful for my PhD pilote study because I can investigate climate change-related migration (interacting with other non-environmentment related drivers) as it plays out in both "origin" and "destination" communities.


Tinputz, Bougainville: My first of two semi-structured interviews in the newly established "destination" community Tinputz where the first resettlers have begun to rebuild their lives. Other family members still on the Carteret Islands are expected to arrive as soon as construction levels have reached the needed capacity.

I manage to do two interviews in Tinputz. Into the second, I feel really dizzy and dehydrated from the noonday sun. I also fast develop a throbbing headache and eventually lie down to close my eyes and rest. After days of rushing around I'm tired. Two cups of sweet tea, plus two hours of rest put me back on my feet and enable me to reach Buka huddled together in the back of the boat with a mother and her small child.

Back at the guest house I cannot believe how dirty my clothes are. I think I can nearly stand my pants upright in the corner, I've never seen clothes this dirty. Then I go off to sleep at 4:00 pm, awaking briefly at 6:00 pm, only to go back to sleep for straight 12 hours -- from 6 to 6.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen