Montag, 1. November 2010

PhD Pilot Study – Nissan, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea

Day 12 – Sunday, 31 October 2010

We spend the day again down at the District Games. I also do three interviews, one of which is especially informative. A young teacher from the Carteret islands provides an interesting perspective of the two atolls, so similar in terms of their remoteness, and yet so different.

The two skippers Justin and David, together with World Vision Programme Officer Patrick, go for a spin in the boat, catching a lot of big fish. Mrs Christine Siwo from the Carteret Islands prepares them for us in coconut cream and offers them to us with rice and sweet potatoe, yummy!


While I do my semi-structured interviews in the afternoon heat the boys take the boat for a spin, later parading their catch after I return from my interviews. My next PhD will be on game fishing which I decide is more fruitful more quickly :-)


At night, after another brief shower with the mug, I marvel at the fact that there is not a single mosquito in this breezy place. The wind constantly blows them away, a wonderful feeling of respite after the mosquito attacks suffered on the Carterets!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen