Donnerstag, 4. November 2010

PhD Pilot Study – Nissan, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea

Day 15 – Wednesday, 3 November 2010

We rise at around 6ish, Patrick feels miserable from the bout of Malaria, I can tell, although he is very brave throughout the day. I do a final interview with Daniel Bokoar after finishing a heavy fish-rice-chinese-cabbage-breakfast! We also put some of the interview on video camera. Then we walk back down to the water for our trip back to Buka.

This time the trip across the open ocean takes us through a localised bad weather system with some rough rain and big waves. At 12:15 noon we briefly call in at the Island of Pororan en route back to Buka, primarly because I conducted interviews on this island in 2008 and want to revisit people and places.

Francis Giran is there to meet me -- again. He shows me the well and explains that the water is salty. Although I want to stay on and film I am mindful of Patricks Malaria condition and want us to hurry back to Buka. We reach back just after 3:00 pm.


Leaving Nissan Atoll after four days with Daniel Bokoar and his wife Nina from the Solomon Islands (right). This trip to a second atoll dissimilar to the Carteret Islands afforded me a uniquely different and more nuanced perspective on climate change-related forced migration.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen