Samstag, 30. Oktober 2010

PhD Pilot Study – Buka, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea

Day 10 – Friday, 29 October 2010

After a brief breakfast at the Lynchar Hotel I'm picked up and taken to the World Vision office where I meet staff to tie up various Carteret loose ends and prepare logistics for our planned trip to the Nissan Atoll tomorrow. After lunch we unexpectedly meet the politician Lawrence Belleh and give him a copy of Planet Prepare. I interviewed him in 2008 on the Island of Pororan (Download Planet Prepare, he and/or his island are featured on page 19 and 22). I also interview Boniface Wadari, a lot of really solid insights around development organisation engagement come out of this interview, I can see that World Vision is well integrated into the fabric of society and can even consider expanding its role around areas of training and local capacity building (hygiene, gender roles, literacy, sanitation, family planning, health and nutrition, HIV & AIDS).

In the simplest of terms roles and responsibilities could be shared as follows: 1. Governement: Coordinators; 2. Development Organisations: Facilitators; 3. Civil Society: Implementors.

I also pick up my laundry, absolutely amazed at how stained my pants and shirt still are. These marks and smears will be lasting "souvenirs" from the Carteret Islands.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen